Friday, August 22, 2014

The Need for Zzzzz


It happened again last night. I’m sleeping like a baby when all of a sudden, my brain stirs to life and shouts, “WAKE UP AND START WORRYING!!” It happens all the time. My internal alarm strikes 3 a.m. and that little worrywart inside my head jumps aboard the stress treadmill and starts ticking off the miles. Lately, he’s been training for a marathon.

After recently resigning from my job and selling my house, I’m facing an impending move and a new direction in life. This provides a veritable smorgasbord of concerns on which my anal retentive mind can feast. To make matters worse, I can never seem to sleep past dawn. In fact, I’m lucky to make it to 6 a.m.. Usually I’m tossing and turning by four, checking and rechecking the clock, until boredom sets in, I throw back the covers, and get on with my day. Even when I aim to sleep late, my brain usually betrays me by whispering, “Time’s a’ wasting!

All this insomnia got me thinking about the need for sleep. Sometimes I imagine how much I could get done if sleep weren’t a necessity. I could write or work out or study till dawn. Unfortunately, my early rising usually means I’m comatose by ten. Sleep comes quickly, even if it's short lived.

So let’s take a peek at the necessity of sleep and remind ourselves of the critical role it plays in a healthy body.

We are not alone in our need for Zs. Sleep is a necessity akin to eating and breathing, and all mammals share the same fundamental sleep patterns; which, in humans, are broken down into five stages, culminating in REM, or “rapid eye movement” sleep.

Stage one is the light sleep we experience as we drift off. This is also the time when sudden muscle contractions, known as hypnic myoclonia, can jolt us awake, since they are usually preceded by the sensation of falling. Stage two eases us into Stages three and four, known as “deep sleep,” during which our brain downshifts, producing the slow delta waves that accompany these stages. It’s during deep sleep that it’s most difficult to be awakened. And then comes the REM sleep.

Rapid eye movement sleep is the crème de la crème of snoozing and begins with signals sent from the base of the brain, or pons. The signals are whisked to the thalamus and then relayed to the cerebral cortex, that vital outer layer of the brain responsible for higher thought. As the cerebral cortex is stimulated, the pons sends other signals to neurons in our spinal cord, shutting them down so we don’t act out in our sleep - a dangerous but I’m guessing, potentially hilarious condition called REM Sleep Behavior Disorder. Can you imagine the carnage associated with an afflicted competitive eater??

REM sleep is when our dreams take flight. Each of us spends about two hours a night in the dream stage, which scientists have discovered is critical to a healthy brain. Protein production increases during REM sleep and those deprived of it have greater difficulty learning and retaining information. REM may also be fundamental to brain development, since infants spend much of their downtime in this stage. (I wonder what fills their dreams… giant nipples, perhaps?).

In fact, sleep is crucial to good overall health. Sleep gives our cells time to repair and produce proteins, and promotes a healthy nervous system. Sleep deprivation leads to lack of concentration, memory impairment, and, possibly, early death. Studies among rats show that well-rested rats typically live two to three years, while their sleep deprived buddies usually croak after only five weeks.

Scientists are still trying to sort out why we dream. Some believe dreams are the brain’s attempt to organize and interpret random signals given off during REM. Freud believed dreaming provided a safety valve for our unconscious desires and that through our dreams, we could fulfill our innermost wishes. However, they are constructed, dreams provide a momentary escape from reality. They can exhilarate, stimulate, or terrorize, depending on their content. But they can also provide a window to the past.

Sometimes, I dream of my parents. And in those dreams they are young and smiling and alive.

Perhaps Freud was right.


See you next week.