Friday, December 13, 2013

Googling the Body

I’ve always been curious about the body; my body, the bodies of my friends and families, even strangers’ bodies. Whether I’m at the gym, presenting a lecture, or simply in a crowded place, I can always amuse myself by checking out the bodies around me. We all do it. “People watching” is a most enjoyable pastime.
Although we are all one species, the range of dimensions and proportions of the human body are truly astounding. We’ve already discussed how size and shape relate to sports (October’s Size Matters), but this week I want to share a little-known fact about my blog.

I’ve been writing the blog now for almost nine months and ironically, much like a pregnancy, it has been a period of intense development – for me as a writer and for you as readers. I’ve watched my audience grow in leaps and bounds, reaching almost every continent on earth (will someone please share the blog with their buds in Antarctica!!).
What you may not know is that I monitor my readership through statistics provided via Blogger. I can track the number of page views, where in the world these hits occur, and – most interestingly – the Google searches that lead you to my page. 

Don’t panic! I can see the search terms but not who’s searching!!

So I thought it would be fun to share with you some of the bizarre things you folks are searching for out on this vast frontier that is the Internet. Join me as we Google the body.
Being a science geek, the task of analyzing subject categories and crunching numbers left me all atingle. I was able to separate the search terms into five general categories:

1.       Teeth
2.      Bones
3.      Blog Title/Website
4.      Sex (of course!)
5.      Oddities (and there are some strange ones in the mix…)

 People have a lot of questions about teeth and bones, which isn’t surprising. With over fifty teeth (baby plus permanent) and over two hundred bones in the average body, it makes for a lot of complexity and thus, many questions. “Childs mouth teeth xray” and “8 years old child teeth x-ray” are perhaps parents concerned with their child’s oral health or a researcher in need of a graphic (since I try to keep your attention via cool pics). There are also those interested in culture, like “8 teeth grillz,” although when I Googled this term, I came up with a YouTube video about ridding your dog of bad breath… Still don’t understand that one.

The bone questions come in a wide variety. “Bones of the face,” “appendicular skeleton,” “axial bones,” and “cranial sutures” were obviously searchers on an anatomical info quest. “Bones of the head quiz” was perhaps someone searching for a bit of nerdy fun.

Many find the blog via post titles or my name. "Anatomy of a fire truck” and “anatomy of hangover” are perfect examples. These are probably folks who have attended one of my lectures or heard about the blog via word of mouth.
So keep those coming!
It’s no shocker that many of you are cruising the Web in search of sex; therefore, it’s no surprise that my most popular post was September’s A Natural History of the Penis (you boys are obsessed!). But many who find my blog are trying to puzzle out the complexities of sex, and these complexities come in a range of issues.  
There are the curious, such as “females private parts” and the ever-present “penis length.” There are those who have had mishaps, like “anal scarring” or (my all-time favorite) “women’s private parts that stink.” And then there are those that move me. The searches that stem from a concern or insecurity, such as “teen penis growth.” Searches like this speak of our fears and worries; our feelings of inadequacy that flare especially during puberty (don’t worry, little buddy… it’ll get bigger!).

And finally, there are the truly strange searches that somehow land on my doorstep (although this says something about my blog’s content). For some reason there are a lot of questions about Chinese foot binding, which have found me via May’s Beauty of Feet. It seems I’ve also cornered the market on leeches. “Leech anatomy,” “leeches,” and “2013 leech saliva” are just a few examples of those who stumbled onto the blog via May’s Ode to the Leech. And then there are the searches I don’t even understand. Someone will have to explain to me what the hell “feet transfusion cartoon” means…

The Internet is a powerful tool – not only for providing information, but for bringing folks together. It thrills me to see this little blog being read by someone in Yemen, or the Sudan, or Thailand. To know that someone in Afghanistan, France, Malaysia, or Ukraine might be learning, or at least chuckling, because of something I wrote is incredibly rewarding. 

So keep reading and keep sharing, and I’ll try each week to bring a little bit of info your way.
Thanks to you all and I'll catch you next Friday!

Reminder: Read my book!!