Friday, May 1, 2015

Model Behavior


This may sound preposterous, but long before I became an archaeologist and, before that, a firefighter, I dreamt of being a model. Like many teens, I devoured the fashion magazines – Vogue and Elle were my bibles. But for me, it wasn’t so much the fashion, it was more the amazing photographs of those beautifully svelte women. 

Their body proportions were astounding: they were tall, lithe, and, most importantly, incredibly thin. Everything a young girl aspired to be. So as I prepared for high school, I dieted like a fiend, losing the subtle layer of baby fat I had been toting since childhood, transforming myself into a willowy wisp of an adolescent. I was ready.

Despite sprouting to a meager five feet seven inches, I was signed by a top local agency and finally got a taste of my dream profession. But after several shoots and shows, I soon discovered that life as a model fell short of my visions of grandeur. Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing like the thrill of the catwalk and the money was ridiculous, considering what little effort went in to strutting around in designer wear. It’s just that it lacked purpose. Fortunately, college led me to paramedic school, which led me straight into the fire service. The only problem was, it required another bodily transformation.

The thin frame I acquired for modeling was ill-equipped for the rigors of firefighting, so I set to work, running, lifting, and pumping my way to a muscled physique. And it’s a good thing I did. It turns out maintaining the body of a model, in all its emaciated splendor, is anything but glamourous.

Let’s start with what a healthy body looks like. The average woman should be composed of about twenty-two percent body fat. That’s because fat plays a fundamental role in the body’s metabolism. It provides a backup energy source when carbohydrates are scarce, it absorbs vital nutrients, such as vitamins A, D, E, and K; and it helps maintain proper body temperature. So you can imagine what happens to an individual who lacks the necessary fat stores. And the situation is only compounded by the extreme dieting most models undertake in order to maintain their fat-free physiques.

The most serious culprits are those strutting the catwalk. Let’s face it, clothes look best on tall, thin frames. That’s why the average size on the runway runs between 0 and 2 – hardly your typical body. So for a model to compete, she must maintain a frame that fits the bill.

Those skeletal silhouettes are achieved through extreme measures, from drugs such as amphetamines, to the use of colonics and juice diets, to the tried-and-true method of simple starvation. And the older the model, the harder it is to keep the weight off. That’s one reason the industry preys on youth – prepubescents come in smaller, lighter packages.

But this industry not only harms the models, it wreaks havoc on the psyches of girls everywhere. The result? An epidemic of eating disorders, driven by the marketing of unrealistic body types.

Eating disorders affect around seventy million people worldwide – twenty-four million of those in the US, alone (and this statistic is from 2002!). Ninety percent of women with eating disorders are between the ages of twelve and twenty-five and, in a ghoulish survey, half the women questioned said they would rather be hit by a truck than be fat. Come on!!

Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents, which is frightening, considering that same anorexic is about twelve times more likely to die an early death. In fact, about twenty percent of people suffering from anorexia will die prematurely due to complications that accompany this syndrome; typically, cardiac abnormalities or suicide. And the body issues that drive this disorder are creeping into an ever-younger age group. According to a study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, eighty-one percent of ten year olds claimed they were afraid of becoming fat and over half the nine and ten year olds surveyed said they felt better about themselves when they were dieting. Time Magazine reported that eighty percent of all children have been on a diet by the time they reach the fourth grade!

Body image is a complicated issue, driven by many factors, most notably the media. Fortunately, the fashion industry is taking note. The Council of Fashion Designers of America has developed guidelines to address the issue of underweight (and underage) models on the catwalk. So perhaps there’s hope.

I guess I was lucky. By trading couture for a bunker coat, I avoided the mania of modeling and was rewarded with a fulfilling career as a firefighter. And now that I’m a bioarchaeologist, my build is truly irrelevant. The skeletons I work on couldn't care less what size I am.


Related Posts